Sunday, May 16, 2010

Things Are Lookin' Up


I hit the wall today...I'm officially tuckered-out. I stayed up way too late fiddlin' with a bunch of gadgets last night, then tried to stay awake when my alarm went off at 0500. I did my best to watch the Formula One Qualifying from Monte Carlo, but my body wouldn't hear of it.

My eyes finally stayed open at 0830...that's when I noticed a new muscle pain. How the heck did I pull a groin muscle? I didn't exactly exert myself Friday! After lunch we took a drive into the neighboring town, and that's when I figured it out. Yesterday I wore Official Summertime Shorts, complete with front and rear pockets. Today I wore 'em again and I knew instantly when I plopped into the seat of the car...sitting on my not so thick wallet for the hour or more doing errands yesterday, had pushed something out of whack.

All Winter long, I never sit on my wallet. It lives in my backpack's inner pocket except when I'm doing errands. My pickup's bench seat is a hellava lot more forgiving than the tight, modern "bucket seat" in the 2003 sport compact I drive here in the Inland Valley!

It's already feeling better...just knowing is good medicine...

I put off some shopping because of the groin muscle thing...I didn't feel like wrestling a dozen sacks of compost and chicken manure in and out of the pickup today anyway. So I did the next best thing...I made a series of "Before" photos of the fence and irrigation projects, that will be hidden behind a verdant garden paradise of heirloom tomatoes, chilies, melons, herbs and squash over the next months.

Sunday is Farmer's Market Day here at the Ancestral Digs, and the sacks of the garden stuff are right across the street from the Farmer's Market.

Monday's "Winter Storm" is starting to look manageable from a fishing standpoint. I looked at the AFD's from SFO/Monterey, Sacramento, and Reno. There will be rain Monday afternoon, with 1-2 inches of snow in the Sierra down to 6500ft Monday night. Sac is calling for afternoon showers and mountain snow in the evening...they're backing away from the Thursday nonsense, too. Here in the Bay Area, one tenth to one quarter of an inch is forecast. The SFO Marine forecast says: Rain Likely with winds topping out at 10 knots...another way to say all that is "Do-able"

My mission for Sunday is to suss out the Fishing Reports and weather updates and Sunday evening, we'll make the call on what, where, and when. There's a big Minus Tide in the AM...just about the time we'd be launching on Suisun Bay...launching on San Francisco Bay proper fits our schedule...but the minus tides are going to preclude good halibut fishing...

Monday looks like Sturgeon City...big Tide Swings. Morning Minus Tide means early up and early launch...no rest for the wicked. SturgeUrge and TruckeeDave aren't above sufferin' for our art! A little anyway...

3 comments:

  1. I have never understood that odd homily "suffering for art". All the art I have ever done was pure pleasure. Even when it wasn't working.

    I have suffered for sturge. God knows I have suffered for sturge, I know all about suffering for sturge.

    Let no good deed go unpunished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clichés become clichés by convention. That being said, maybe the phrase comes from the widely accepted belief that Michelangelo suffered for the Sistine Chapel Ceiling.

    I suspect that in America, the belief is based on Charlton Heston's portrayal in "The Agony and the Ecstasy", the 1965 movie based on the Irving Stone tome.

    Gee, for a "Starry-Eyed Optimist" I sure can get my Pessimist on!

    Suffering for fish is another thing all together. Done right, sturgeon fishing shouldn't be suffering. Steelhead fishing on the other hand, is all about suffering IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The worst day fishing is probably one of the best days of life. Or as "they" say, "No pain, know gain."

    The salmonid family is a wonderful species, indeed. Or is it genera? How quickly one forgets the order of life.

    Or is it chaos that brings order through diversity>

    ReplyDelete