Thursday, February 4, 2010

Another Good Night!

So why am I still weary? Could it be the unwritten "Law of the Universe"? The one that says: "When TruckeeDave wears a new pair of Levis to work...there shall be a diesel spill upon him" I'm not surprised anymore by this one...but I am getting awfully tired of it!

I drove by Donner Lake on my way to work last night. With nary a puff of wind, the lights of the cabins on the South Shore were perfectly reflected on the lake, under a clear starry sky. Orion gazed down as the Moon was rising through the cloud deck to the East. Damn fine viewing, all around.

Swing shift had a little trouble...an older winch cable parted and downed one winch, but the hero snow regime made our workload lighter...and more fun! My cat was in the shop...finally getting the new Recaro seat, so I ran our year-old Bison. These Bisons are fast! I climbed some stuff that I haven't climbed in years (owing to the low snow conditions the past three seasons)

As I worked my way up the Mountain, the East Wind began to freshen a bit. By the time I was up top, the East Wind and cold temps had combined to produce the fog that blew in just in time to obscure the sunrise. Now there were some embedded flurries coming from the fog bank! Not enough to impact our work, but enough to remind me of tonight's forecast!

The Reno AFD wasn't exactly promising a blizzard for tonight, and the next storm (for Saturday) is defying their modeling efforts as well. Some splitting of these next two storms is predicted by the models. This always gives the NWS Forecasters fits...the overnight guy even handed off some of the forecast calls to the Day Shift! Honesty is especially nice coming from a "Close Enough for Government Worker"!

The Sacramento TV News WeatherGuys have been touting some feet for the oncoming storms all week...they can't help it...they get their forecast data from the Sacramento NWS Office...notorious for factoring in Politics when they arrive at their Forecast Products...sigh...

So tonight, I'll be suiting up and driving into work in some snowfall...after a whole day's sleep. I'm still tired from my stomach bug...I don't feel sick, I'm asymtomatic...except I'm way more tired and weary than normal.

I should get energized if we get some decent snowfall tonight...and I'll be sitting in my brand new seat! I've got plenty of stuff on the iPod to listen to, and Thursday's are when the A Team starts their week...should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment