Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

That was one great night...

Friday morning the numbers hit me as I was filing my After Action Report. My work was everywhere. Swing Shift had done all the Special Projects and all the digging, so I groomed more acres and trails than on any other night so far this season!

I did do one plow project that's been escaping our attention during this Winter's onslaught...I've been meaning to plow away a big wind drift at the top terminal of our most popular Intermediate Chairlift. So far this season, the snowfall we've been getting has stacked up quickly, usually accompanied with lots of wind, resulting in February-like conditions. We needed to "make it downhill" in all directions from the top ramp.

I pushed for an hour or so, and ran the corduroy. It isn't downhill yet, but it isn't uphill any more. All in all, I cut four feet off a good half an acre, maybe three quarters of an acre. I steepened the top ramp so our guests won't have to skate when they get off the chair and go West.

The fleet ran great all night, and we wrapped it up early under a stunning blue sky. While fueling up, the most beautiful herringbone cloud scudded overhead...there were ice crystals floating in the air, enhancing my peak moment.

In the Groomers' Ready Room the mood was good...who could complain on such a glorious morning? I marveled: "Out before 10AM!" as I punched out...

As I walked down the Shop Road to my pickup, I surveyed my mountain...so much majesty for my eyes to feast on.  A huge crowd was streaming into our parking lots...crowds have been good all week. As I walked up to my truck, I heard someone say: "TruckeeDave!" I looked and didn't recognize him. "Who are you?" I asked. I'm Landcruser Scott, he replied. "Jesus, you look like a married man" I quipped. Scott laughed and introduced me to his wife.

I started my pickup, grabbed my ice scraper and Scott and I caught up. Scott had worked at my mountain for several seasons in the Mid-90's. He helped me build a house for another friend in '96, and we'd had many adventures in SnowCats over those seasons. It's been a few years since the last time we ran into each other at the Post Office.

I told him what he was missing now that we were an all BR350 fleet. Scott liked the sound of: "Another 75 HP, all of it to the cutter bar if you need it" I was probably a little too enthusiastic...I was gushing really...we said our goodbyes, and I gave him my card.

I enjoyed my sunny ride down the hill...I decided to shop...surely everyone in town had stocked up by now...boy, was I ever wrong.

I was home at the DaveCave by 11:30...T-Bone Steak and Eggs with Grapefruit Juice.

When I awoke, I checked my Twitter Feed...San Francisco will host the 34th America's Cup.

Dreams do come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment