Thursday, January 4, 2018

Back In The Saddle Again

Hat tip to Gene Autry!

    So I was laid off in the first week of February, 2012 due to low snow and lower skier interest after My Mountain lost both Christmas weeks and MLK weekend. It was grim...

    When Mother passed away in 2016 I was nearly free to get back in my tractor, save for getting the Ancestral Digs ready to sell. Believe me, it was torture watching My Mountain via webcam and seeing all that beautiful snowfall last season, and not being able to join the fray!

   So this is the season! I've moved to the Delta to be nearer to the fishing opportunities that do it for me now: Dungeness Crab, Chinook Salmon, and California Halibut. I've decided to give Sierra Trout a break, catch and release isn't perfect, and I probably shouldn't be tromping around through rivers and streams anyway...

   This month Sturge Urge and I are keeping our ears to the rail for the impending Pacific Herring Spawn.

    There have been a couple of spawns in our neighborhood on San Francisco Bay, but no early enough intel as of yet. One good herring trip and we'll have bait for a year, and some pickled herring to boot!

    So far I have worked four shortish shifts back on My Mountain. To say it's a little thin at the base is PR Gold! We got 2 inches overnight, with a chance for another few inches through the weekend. All is not lost, I remember a couple of seasons that turned out fine after similar dismal starts

    The dry start has blackened the hearts of locals...now instead of imploring everyone to "Pray For Snow" and "Time for a Snow Dance" I'm hearing: "It might be time for Human Sacrifice"...

No comments:

Post a Comment