Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's Like Déjà Vu All Over Again

God bless Yogi Berra, baseball's Patron Saint of malapropisms. Can you blame baseball, of which Yogi quipped: "90% of the game is half mental.", for loving the guy?

But I digress...today is one of Yogi's  "Déjà Vu All Over Again" type days. I watched the fourth and final Giants/Cubs game from AT&T Park on the TV. It was drizzling at the yard, but not enough to stop the game. It was another nice pitching duel that the Giants won, making for the four game sweep. Soothing, winning Giants baseball...thanks Giants!

As is my new fashion, I was on Twitter during the game...Giants' fans are the best tweeters, plenty of snark, stats and silliness in 140 characters or less!

Anyway, as the low key game languorusly unfolded, some tweets from the High Sierra caught my eye...viewed together they tell a little story:

2:24PM @rgj: "It's snowing over Donner Summit, but no travel restrictions "

2:56PM @R5_Fire_News: " Receiving snow across the upper reaches of several National Forests in the "

3:31PM @KirkwoodMtn: "Seriously - Chains required on SR88? Snowing my friends... Stay Thirsty, Coop"

5:39PM @TheSkiChannel: "| Squaw Valley Welcomes Summer | Head over to for fun Summer activities"

I surfed to the Sierra webcams...yep, snowing. Sugar Bowl looked like 2-3 inches on their picnic tables. The CalTrans webcams showed snow down to Soda Springs, with misty rain at Kingvale.

I tuned in the local TV News, yup Déjà Vu all over again! KTVU2 the Bay Area Fox affiliate had a live remote, NOT from Blue Canyon, but atop Donner Summit (I guess CalTrans finally finished the two year long remodel of the Summit Rest Areas)

The snow wasn't sticking to the roadway, and apparently, the rest stop was filthy with foreign tourists in shorts, who were happy to gush to the camera about how surprised they were by the snow...good sports they were all breathlessly smiling and carrying on. It was good TV, and chillingly, it reminded me of last Spring!

It's OK, I did a quick scan of the AFDs, this is just a fluke system passing through...not a "pattern Change"

So, the Ancestral Diggins benefit from the .10 inches of rain, and the rest of the week will be warm, but not scorching. I can dig it!


No comments:

Post a Comment