Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Little Heavy Reading

Monday evening, after my San Francisco Giants suffered their heartbreaking loss in Chicago, I started knocking around the internet catching up on the latest bicycle racing news and intel. I've got about 36 hours left to chose my Fantasy Bicycle Racing teams for the Tour de France.

I deployed the full compliment of tools...web browser, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter...all guns a-blazing so to speak.

While reading about the "new kit" (read racers' uniforms) of Team Garmin-Cervélo, I saw a tweet from Anthony Watts: "Yet Even More Discussions About the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO)"

Now nothing is more in my wheelhouse than climate stuff pertaining to the Pacific Ocean, and the PDO in particular.

Doing a quick scan of Anthony's blog Watts Up With That?, I found a week's worth of Climate Gold! Especially attractive to me was the article titled: "Earth’s Climate System Is Ridiculously Complex – With Draft Link Tutorial"

Talk about a home run! I'm always up for a thick read that wrestles with the chaotic factors in climate!

OK, TeamCorduroyPlanet has it's nine riders now, and is enrolled online for the Tour de France Fantasy League. The racing begins Saturday. It's looking like it will be an epic edition of Le Tour, and I'm feeling like the kid on Christmas Eve today!

Friday morning on my way to read up on the last minute pre-Tour news, I clicked through my usual weather sites to get a handle on the holiday weekend weather outlook.

I stopped by Watts Up With That? and looked at the Climate System post. It's going to be an all weekend read...I counted the Tutorial Links...there's 128 links! Clearly this counts as "Ridiculously Complex"...I'm especially intrigued by the Internal Earth stuff like Magma Tides...the Earth's core rotates too, and at a slightly different rate than the surface of our planet.

This is starting to look more like an all Summer read than a weekend read...

No comments:

Post a Comment