Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Extra: Fire Weather Redux


I made a run to the Farmer's Market while my Mom was at church Sunday morning. I couldn't get near the neighboring Safeway, so I had some time to cool my jets, listen to my favorite Garden Radio Show, and read the front section of the Sunday paper.

A few pages in was this article: "Do Wet Winters Mean Bad Fire Seasons?"
I wondered in this space just last week about the linkage between wet years and bad fire years. Bottom line? For the most part, wet years produce less severe fire seasons. There is more grass for fuel after a wet cool Rainy Season, but the overstory fuels tend to be less dry, impeding grass fires from climbing the fuel ladder into the forest canopy.

The paper had another story about the heavy snowpack and the warm weather, warning of high, cold flows in foothill rivers. I looked at the NWS Reno and Sacramento pages, and they've issued Special Weather Statements: A Flood Advisory has been issued for the West Walker River effecting Mono, Mineral, Lyon, and Douglass Counties, along with the usual springtime cold river and stream warnings.

Sacramento's SWS admonishes outdoor enthusiasts to be mindful of the cold water temps in local streams and rivers, and reminds them of the dangers of hypothermia, too.

Yosemite National Park is awash with waterfalls this spring, with many unnamed falls that are flowing seemingly everywhere. Many of these cascades haven't been seen by regulars for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment